As two historic buildings face demolition on Main Street in Port Jefferson Station, Cumsewogue Historical Society President Jack Smith makes a compelling case for combining historic preservation and revitalization in a recent article for The Port Times Record.

Click HERE to read the full article, “Preserving history amid revitalization project”, on page 5 of The Port Times Record, May 28, 2018, edition.

E. H. Roger’s Feed & Grain, (later known as Remz Feed), ca. 1910. View eastward from Main Street just south of the railroad tracks; a portion of the colonnaded walkway at Port Jefferson LIRR Station (designed by Stanford White in 1903) is visible in the distance at the lower left corner.  Photo by Arthur S. Greene, courtesy of Port Jefferson Village Digital Photo Archive.

Findings from a 2014 town-sponsored commercial hub study include recommendations for potential restoration and rehabilitation of the E. H. Rogers Feed and Grain building.

Renderings for these recommendations, pictured to the left, are published on page 13 of the Port Jefferson Station Commercial Hub Study (2014).

The hub study also advised pursuing Brookhaven Town landmark designation and National Register of Historic Places listing for the area’s surviving historic buildings to encourage their continued preservation.

Comments are closed.