Stewardship

Stewardship

Old Methodist Church

Headquarters for Preservation Long Island, the Cold Spring Harbor Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1842 by Israel Valentine during the heyday of whaling on a site acquired from Judge Richard M. Conklin, one of the partners in the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Company. After serving its congregation for 149 […]

Stewardship

Sherwood-Jayne Farm

The Sherwood-Jayne Farm, landscape, and accessory structures represent a continuum of architectural design, construction, and rural site planning that stretches over two centuries. Originally built around 1730 as a lean-to salt box dwelling, the house and agricultural setting were maintained as an operational farmstead for over 150 years by members […]

Stewardship

Joseph Lloyd Manor

Completed in 1767 for Joseph Lloyd, the second lord of the Manor of Queens Village, the Joseph Lloyd Manor House was the seat of a 3,000 acre agricultural estate. The British occupied it during the Revolutionary War and it was the home of Jupiter Hammon, one of the first published […]

Stewardship

Custom House

Sag Harbor became a United States port of entry in 1789 with a growing population involved in servicing whalers, coasters, and West Indian trade ships. Henry Packer Dering, Sag Harbor’s first United States custom master, acquired the property in the early 1790s. The house was originally located at the corner […]