Town of Southold, Suffolk County
Sacred Heart Church, Rectory, and Carriage House (1878) played an important role in Long Island’s North Fork community. It was originally built by, and for, the Irish and German farm families that settled in the area, and was subsequently used by Catholic immigrants from Poland and Italy. The church—part of a 15-acre site that includes the rectory and carriage house—is described as a ‘modest Gothic style’ building, while the rectory is representative of the Queen Ann style. The church is currently closed, as the Diocese of Rockville Center is looking to consolidate church operations to Mattituck. Some of the reasons associated with this decision emphasized the poor condition of the church, and the costs associated with restoration. Currently, the Cutchogue New Suffolk Historical Council is working to bring the Diocese, Town, and community together to discuss a preservation strategy.
• Complex is eligible for landmark designation
• An active local church committee has formed to work with the Sacred Heart committee and Historical Council to create plan for the site’s future.
• Listing has brought attention to the significance of the site and its threat.