Headquarters for Preservation Long Island (formerly known as the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities), the Cold Spring Harbor Methodist Episcopal Church was built in 1842 by Israel Valentine during the heyday of whaling on a site acquired from Judge Richard M. Conklin, one of the partners in the Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Company.
After serving its congregation for 149 years, the church closed its doors and the society acquired the building in 1996 for adaptive reuse as its exhibition gallery, program and meeting space, and administrative offices.
Old Methodist Church
161 Main Street
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724
By appointment: 631-692-4664