This site was listed as one of Preservation Long Island’s Endangered Historic Places in 2010.
Built in 1938 overlooking the Long Island Sound, Bogheid is a little-known French Manor-style house designed by Delano and Aldrich for Helen Porter Pryibil (1897–1969), daughter of banker William H. Porter, a partner of J. P. Morgan & Co. The building was documented in 1983 during a municipally sponsored historic resources survey, but listing on the National Register of Historic Places was not pursued. Local landmarking was not pursued either.
According to a 1985 article by the New York Times, Mrs.Pryibil sold the 120-acre Bogheid estate to the City of Glen Cove for $325,000. While the city redeveloped the surrounding land into a golf course, Mrs. Pryibil retained the right to live in the house until her death in 1969. By the 1970s, however, the city no longer planned to adaptively reuse the mansion as a clubhouse for Glen Cove residents, and Bogheid was eventually sold in 1981 to Martin Carey, the brother of former New York State Governor Hugh Carey. Before the property fell into decline, Mr. Carey hosted a series of interior designer showcases at the house. The property was recently sold to a new owner in July 2021 with potential plans for rehabilitation.
Today, Bogheid sits on a private six-acre parcel situated within the Glen Cove Municipal Golf Course, an area where other estate houses have been reused for institutional purposes. Currently vacant, the property is threatened by recurring cycles of vacancy and neglect, as well as a lack of viable community-driven preservation planning and long-term stewardship.
• Sold to new owner in July 2021 with potential plans for rehabilitation.
• At risk of demolition due to lack of local landmark designation by the City of Glen Cove, which is a Certified Local Government recognized by the New York State Historic Preservation Office and the National Park Service.
• Threatened by recurring cycles of vacancy and neglect, as well as a lack of viable community-driven preservation planning and long-term stewardship.
• Listed as one of Preservation Long Island’s Endangered Historic Places in 2010.
• On January 28, 2015, a fire caused extensive damage at Winfield Hall, another historic property in Glen Cove owned by the Carey family. Designed by architect C. P. H. Gilbert (1861–1952) in 1916 for Frank Winfield Woolworth (1852–1919), Winfield Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.