Mid/Late 18th century
Village of Southampton, Suffolk County
Built for Captian Henry Rhodes (1762–1848), this house is one of only a handful of pre-Revolutionary War dwellings in the village, which was founded in 1640. Relocated to its current location in the 1920s, the exterior was significantly altered for commercial use in the 1930s. It has stood largely vacant and neglected since the 1980s. Nonetheless, much of its original interior and architectural features are remarkably well preserved. Threatened by demolition. A demolition permit was requested several years ago but denied because the Southampton Village Code calls for additional review when dealing with structures “of historical interest.” Adaptive reuse of the building is complicated by environmental regulations that hinder expanded uses at the site—there are sewerage issues affecting underground water and the adjacent Agawam Lake.
• Nominated for Preservation Long Island’s Endangered Historic Places by the Town Historian in 2013.
• Property sold to a private owner in 2014.
• Property relisted for sale in 2016 with architectural plans for rehabilitating the historic structure into a boutique hotel, or an option to donate the structure to the Village of Southampton for relocation so the site could be redeveloped. It is currently of the market in April 2019.