Title: Preservation Director
Job Type: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Salary Range: $55,000 – $60,000
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Preservation Long Island (PLI) seeks an experienced preservation professional with strong written and verbal communication skills to develop and implement all programs related to historic preservation advocacy for Long Island’s diverse cultural heritage. The Preservation Director serves as PLI’s outreach representative to local preservation groups and program-interested individuals, communities, and media contacts. They join a core staff of eight and works collaboratively with the Curator and Education Director to implement integrated, dynamic, and impactful preservation advocacy initiatives to advance PLI’s mission.
• Develop preservation partnerships throughout the region by providing advisory, support, and educational services to community groups, organizations, elected officials, and individuals involved in preservation advocacy initiatives (one-to-one and groups).
• Manage PLI’s Endangered Historic Places (EHP) and Awards Programs (alternating years): enlist and coordinate applications for review (EHP); produce and keep up-to-date all related website content. Plan and implement related announcement events.
• Create content for preservation-oriented educational outreach that inspires best practices and highlights regional issues. Work with education staff to translate advisory services, endangered places, and awards subject-matter into public programs.
• Serve as Preservation Notes (newsletter) content creator and editor; contribute to PLI’s blog and other media (e.g. social, e-news, newspaper editorials, etc.)
• Be well-versed in municipal codes and preservation policies (state and local) to guide preservation partners. Keep abreast of regional news and be able to recognize when/how historic preservation priorities intersect with pressing contemporary issues.
• With guidance from the Executive Director, plan and manage facilities improvement initiatives to better preserve and use PLI’s historic houses.
• Maintain PLI’s restrictive covenants program: schedule and conduct visits for compliance assessment; produce status reports; and provide restoration/maintenance advise as needed.
• Appearances at public meetings and hearings in support of local advocates: as a speaker on preservation-related topics and as a participant in conferences to promote the Society’s expertise.
This position requires a self-motivated person with excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to speak in public, and a facility with new media engagement. The candidate must have a strong knowledge of historic preservation, planning, and/or social or architectural history. Strong research skills and an advanced degree in historic preservation or related field is required. Strong computer skills are also required with proficiency in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite (or similar) graphic design programs. Experience with NYS CRIS, GIS and/or other location-based database systems is also required. Knowledge of AutoCAD and HTML coding is a plus.
Preservation Long Island is an equal opportunity employer that considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
This is an exempt salaried full-time position requiring a total of 40 hours per week with some evening and weekend hours for special events, meetings and programs. In joining a small dynamic staff, candidates must be efficient with their time and adaptable to teamwork that may require collaborative scheduling priorities and shared administrative duties. Candidates must also have a valid US driver’s license and access to a car for travel to meetings, events, and historic sites throughout the region. Full-time employee benefits include medical insurance, retirement account, paid sick leave, and generous paid holidays and vacation time. Hybrid in-person/remote scheduling is available.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, CV/resume, and two work samples to:
Preservation Director Search, [email protected]
For additional information: www.preservationlongisland.org